Re: Wiki for Oracle DBAs?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:56:20 +0100

On 29 Dec 2005 13:42:14 -0800, "Catherine" <catherine.devlin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good wiki by and for Oracle DBAs?
>
>The closest thing I know of is The Oracle (tm) Users' Co-Operative FAQ,
>but that's not quite the same. You have to be ready to produce the
>entire, authoritative answer to a question, and produce it all at once,
>to submit an answer to that. (Or pester Jonathon Lewis with a dozen
>revision emails, but that seems rude.) There are questions, though,
>that don't really work that way; where you can chip in a little bit of
>answer, and somebody else fleshes it out a little more, etc.
>
>For instance, I'd like a comprehensive guide to locations of logfiles
>of Oracle products. Things like the Universal Installer, lsnrctl,
>emctl, dbca, SQL*Net, Intelligent Agents, Oracle HTTPServer, etc. can
>all generate logs, and it's far from obvious where the log from any
>particular tool will go. Finding them can be a pain, and I'd happily
>bookmark a guide, if one existed. I don't have all the answers, but I
>could fill out a bit of the guide and hope others would flesh it out.
>
>So I'd start a wiki for that, but it would make sense for it to be a
>page of a project with some momentum. Is there one? If there isn't,
>hosting one would seem like a natural for IOUG... hmm...
>
>Thanks very much!
>- Catherine Devlin
>http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/

Ultimately that Wiki would evolve in a copy of http://tahiti.oracle.com or http://asktom.oracle.com and as people would still need to search it, it would NOT be used, and the stream of doc questions here would not dry up.
Apart from that, as most of the items you mention are configurable, it would be redundant to have a comprehensive guide of their *default* locations. Those locations are documented.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA