Question: Unusable indexes after tablespace move of table

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2005 10:54:40 -0800

Hi, all.

Our db (8i on AIX) has tablespaces with different extent sizes, and once an object in the smaller extent-sized tablespaces reaches a certain threshold of extent number, we move it into the tablespace with the larger extent size.

Anyway.

After moving tables in this fashion, the indexes for these tables are rendered unusable, and must be rebuilt. The indexes are in tablespaces of their own.

Why does this happen? Is there a reference in the index to the tablespace of a table, as well as the table itself?

This isn't a 'complaint' or a gripe, I'm just trying to understand what's happening in these indexes when these operations are carried out.

Thanks!

BD Received on Thu Dec 29 2005 - 12:54:40 CST