Re: The charter for this newsgroup

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:10:19 +0100

On 29 Dec 2005 03:57:17 -0800, bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>How about we revise the charter to exclude the clause on top posting.
>
>Apart from some users preferences, and perhaps a weak argument about
>bandwidth, why is their so much aggression about top posting?
>Regardless of what the charters for this newsgroup say, people are
>still going to top post it because not only is it natural, it is the
>way some news clients work by default. It is also accepted behaviour in
>many, maybe even most, other newsgroups.
>
>Although if asked I would prefer people didn't cross post, I find it
>even more annoying having to read single messages saying "Stop cross
>posting", stop this, stop that. I would like this newsgroup to contain
>information on Oracle, not newsgroup preferences, and to reduce the
>possibility of further flame wars in c.d.o.s and c.d.o.m.
>
>Opinions anyone?
>
>Barry

Sure,

I would definitely not exclude the clause on top posting. Humans happen to read from top to bottom. Top posting
a) makes a thread difficult to follow
b) demonstrates a basic laziness on the side of the poster, as he can't seem to be bothered to hit CTRL-E prior to responding. So, as far as I am concerned, top posting is definitely NOT natural, and it requires *VERY LITTLE* on the side of the poster to do it properly. The argument 'some news clients work this way be default' is simply nonsense. It is not the news client, it is the poster who is too lazy!

I would prefer to not to see messages like this in c.d.o.s and c.d.o.m They are promoting laziness and bad manners.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA