Re: Can't get logged into database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 28 Dec 2005 11:16:05 -0800

Comments embedded.
Si wrote:
> First of all I have to say that I completely new to Oracle so this is a
> "noob" question.

And Google is your friend.

> I cannot get logged onto my newly created database. When I open SQL*Plus I
> am presented with a login box saying User Name, Password and Host String.
> When I created the database I selected a password, yet I don't know what
> value to put into the "User Name" field.

Since you are so new to Oracle this is a VERY simple explanation. The password you created was for the SYS account. This is the account you would use to create new users, however you can only connect to SYS as SYSDBA. As this is your own database, and all you can ruin is a virtual 'playground', BASIC instructions you will need for creating a connection to your database will follow. Obviously this is on a Windows machine, else you wouldn't get the 'login box' from SQL*Plus. Stop using the icon and open a command prompt. Type:

sqlplus /nolog

at the prompt in the command window and you'll be greeted with a banner and a SQL> prompt. You may then type:

connect / as sysdba

and you should see 'Connected.'

>From here you can create users, grant permissions, create tablespaces,
etc.

I WOULD, were I you in your position, be reading the Concepts Guide at tahiti.oracle.com. This will provide much needed information and guidance.

> I also cannot get logged into Enterprise Manager for this database.

Different user account, different password, all documented in the Help menu in Enterprise Manager.

> I haven't created any users. Where do I do this and how do I log into the
> database?

Read above. And start reading the documentation. You'll go nowhere, quite fast, without it.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Dec 28 2005 - 13:16:05 CST