Re: Multiple SID's (instances) possible with Oracle 8 (Unix)?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:13:53 +0100

gschnei_at_genre.com wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to metalink.
>
> Anyways, the scenario is maybe a bit different:
>
> We create the data from a *cough* MySQL-database using the
> MySQLDump-utility.
>
> The output is a tab-separated file, which has korean characters
> UTF-8-encoded.
>
> Again, when loading them into a WE8ISO8859P1 instance, they show up
> fine in our Java-program. However, when loading these data into a
> KO16KSC5601-instance, only garbage shows up.
>
> I'm wondering if KO16KSC5601 is UTF-8 capable?
> Seems not, and this seems to be the problem.
>
> Do you think it's worth a try exporting them from WE8ISO8859P1 and
> importing them into KO16KSC5601 using the exp / imp-utility provided by
> Oracle?
>
> I just tried to load the data now using pure insert-statements,
> however, only garbage shows up again in SQL+, but this might be due to
> a mis-set NLS-LANG-parameter of the client.
>
> Seems I'm running out of ideas here... :(
>
> Thanks anyways!
>
> Greg

I think you're right on track with the NLS_LANG settings on the client...
Make sure your Korean counter part uses the exact same settings you use *when loading* your file.
He/she can then switch to their normal settings, and see what gives.

As to oracle instances: you could of course reverse the test, and set up your own KO16KCS5601 instance (which, I think, is a fixed two byte UTF characterset, and may not be UTF-8 compatible... Still am wondering why you can load double-byte characters in a single byte instance)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...