installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000

From: dream liner <venugopal.sistla_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2005 20:29:14 -0800

Hi
I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that.

But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services utility(start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->services) and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running.

I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above.

Now, please help me with the following :

  1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp
  2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem.
  3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?)

Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem.

TIA
Best regards
dream liner Received on Tue Dec 27 2005 - 22:29:14 CST