Re: Reference data manitenance tool?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:18:32 -0500

"Tautology" <SQLTautology_at_xemaps.com> wrote in message news:1135728952.918107.232140_at_g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I hope you will forgive me the crosspost, I was not sure where to
> better post this request!
>
> I am in need of a tool, preferably spreadsheet-like, in which others
> can maintain reference data and from which still others can easily
> generate Insert statements. Any pointers to such tool would be much
> appreciated!
>
> For example, if I have a table with columns
> RegionID NUMBER NOT NULL
> RegionName VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL
> MajorCity VARCHAR2(30) NULL
>
> I want to be able to give this "tool" to a "territory designer," have
> him or her enter the data he would need, then get the file/tool back
> and generate a bunch of insert statements that I can use in SQL*Plus or
> TOAD to push the data into a number of environments where the table
> exists. I am not looking for whiz-bang tool, $$$ to spend, etc. I am
> looking for cheap/free, simple, robust and clear to non-technical
> users. I have put together an Excel spreadsheet that kind of does it,
> but I'd rather not reinvent this if it already exists.
>
> I apologize if this sounds vague -- I did not want to make the
> description restrictive so that a good tool might fall through its
> cracks.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated!
> Happy Holidays!
> T.

sounds like your user is not connected to the database that the data needs to reside in?

  1. connect them directly to the database and use HTML DB (Internet or intranet)
  2. if they can't connect dirctly to the database for some reason give them their own Oracle XE (free) database and set up HTML DB on it, and then export their data and ftp the export to the disconnected target database
  3. just let them do their hacing in excel and then use HTML DB to import their spreadsheet data into the database(s)

++ mcs Received on Tue Dec 27 2005 - 20:18:32 CST