Re: HTML DB 101

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:40:48 -0500

"Michael42" <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1135621555.104071.326060_at_g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Oracle 9i (9.2.0.6) on Solaris 8 I want to create some simple web
> interfaces into my Oracle 9i database. I do not want to install a
> separate web application (i.e. OAS etc.) if I can avoid it. I have
> never used HTML DB.
>
> 1. Will HTML DB allow me to achieve the above?
>
> 2. If yes, can you please point me to current install and script docs
> for this?
>
> 3. Is HTML DB available in 10g also? I am asking this so I do not have
> to rewrite these interfaces from scratch when we migrate.
>

> I always select the options to install iSQLPlus when installing an
> Oracle 9i database. Hopefully HTML DB is just an extention of this.
> :-)
>

> Thanks very much for your advice,
>
> Michael42

yes, it will be very useful in creating some simple web interfaces, and you an add a fair degree of sophistication once you get used to the product

current install is somewhere on otn.oracle.com -- search for 'HTML DB'

HTML DB works for 9iR2 and up

it is not an extension of iSQLPlus -- it is a much different animal with a very different way of managing security
see my 12/23 post in c.d.o.tools under 'Oracle XE - GUI end-user reporting tool?' for a discussion on how HTML DB accesses database schemas the focus of that thread is on end-user reporting, but the information should give you an idea on how HTML DB security works (its quite different from other tools, as it goes through a couple of back doors)

++ mcs Received on Mon Dec 26 2005 - 19:40:48 CST