Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:58:43 GMT

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:33:26 -0800, Joel Garry wrote:

> And I have customers that have had to give up licenses they paid for,
> and are very upset about it.

Not without reason.

I have several customers who have been quite merrily runnig alonmg with several different license agreements, including a production system using (iirc) Oracle 5 under VAX/VMS (which hums along with nary a click) as well as some 10gR1 stuff.

By letter of the unilateral change, they would need to give up their VAX machines as well. Not a happy sight.

Still - two sides to the story. I also know customers who have only Oracle7, are very happy being without support, and have no need to upgrade.

Then again, there are a lot of DOS 5-based point of sales systems available as well and Microsoft is not able to move them either.

My brother in law has only one car. It's up on blocks. He takes public transit and is far happier and finds life far less expensive.

As you say - Hobson's choice. There was a reason he introduced it, even if it made the cheap students unhappy, it also benefitted him, the not-so-cheap and the horses.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com