Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2005 11:33:26 -0800

  1. Fuentes wrote:

> If I find an Oracle bug using the free developer OTN
> license for the Enterprise Edition, can I use
> my Personal Edition to just open a Tar?
> (No support seeked)

A tar (or SR as they are now called) is support.

Hans wrote:

>(This does not void any comment about licenses being perpetual.)

>It states that all licenses for a given product fall under the same
>support agreement, so if you want support on new licenses, the old ones
>must be brought up to date or voided. That, of course, is the choice of
>the customer.

That's a Hobson's choice. http://www.hobsonschoice.com/hobstory.html

If one of my cars breaks, I can put it up on blocks on my front lawn and not renew the licensing (though I have to pay a small non-op fee to avoid penalties when I do pay it - OK, my informed choice, the car may or may not ever get fixed).

If it were Oracle licensing, I would have to give my license plates to Oracle to license my _other_ cars. That is a long way from perpetual licensing.

And I have customers that have had to give up licenses they paid for, and are very upset about it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051223/news_1b23smartdrw.html