Re: Upgrading from Oracle 7.x to 9

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:08:01 +0100

On 22 Dec 2005 22:05:29 -0800, pranav.garg007_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hi All,
>We are in the process of migrating from Oracle 7 on winnt to Oracle 9
>on windows 2003 server platform.
>I would like to know the following things
>1) can we copy the data files of oracle 7on winnt to oracle 9 in
>windows 2003?
>2) can oracle 7.3.4 be installed on windows 2003 server?
>3) which way is going to be the best export/import or DBUA is going to
>work in this case.
>Looking forward to hear from you all.
>Regards,
>Pranav

The best start of the migration process would be to read the migration documentation which comes with every new release. Also reading it will usually be quicker than waiting for a response in this group.
1) theoretically yes, but depends on how audacious you are resp whether you want to change jobs
2) Please answer the question whether Oracle 7.3.4 (from 1997) is certified on Windows 2003. If you can answer this question, do you even need to ask.
3) export/import.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA