Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:47:48 GMT

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:32:55 -0800, Joel Garry wrote:

> HansF wrote:

>> Oracle price policies are listed in various documents at
>> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/index.html, but as a quick summary
>>
>> 0) Perpetual licenses are yours to use forever, even without support;
>>

> (No offence towards Hans, offence towards Oracle, but) This is a lie.
> Oracle has things called "license groups," and if you try to keep
> licenses unsupported, they won't renew your support. You have to give
> up the perpetual licenses, or else spend even more money suing them.
> Very similar to
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2005/4/18/85952/2860

No offense taken. Thanks for getting me to check that as my Support agreements are current, but renewed in October. I would have been out of date for 11 months ... (calling it a lie! <humpff!!> <g>)

The new Technical Support Policies, effective Nov 5, 2005, seem to have made a number of changes that void my previous comments. They can be seen at

http://www.oracle.com/support/collateral/oracle-technical-support-policies.pdf

(This does not void any comment about licenses being perpetual.)

It states that all licenses for a given product fall under the same support agreement, so if you want support on new licenses, the old ones must be brought up to date or voided. That, of course, is the choice of the customer.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com