Re: ORA-01654 Fix?

From: Shredder <shred_at_shredder.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:17:09 GMT

<bdbafh_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ah, then this database is more the victim of the defaults set in a
> starter database - or of the poor practices of a now defunct vendor.
>
> It is helpful to include operating system information, storage
> subsystem info.
>
> Care to specify the Oracle database server software version including
> patchsets, and whether this is Enterprise or Standard Edition?
>>From sqlplus:
> SQL> select * from v$version;
> SQL> select * from v$option;
>
> 7 years ago - its likely either Oracle v7.3 (7.3.4) or v8 (8.0.5).
> Both of these versions were long since de-supported.
> Locally managed tablespaces were not introduced until Oracle 8i - so
> those won't be an option available to you.
>
> If you're dealing with dictionary managed tablespaces back in Oracle
> 7.3 - you might want to consider manually coalescing that tablespace
> (after you have good backups).
>
> If pctincrease has been set to a non-zero value (say 50 %) its entirely
> possible that the next extent sizes for large segments are rather
> large. Adjusting these values downward may buy you some time.
>
> Performing the re-org to new tablespaces should be fairly
> straightforward.
> A tool such as TOAD has a nice GUI interface for perfoming
> re-organizations - you won't even have to write any scripts.
>
> what is the blocksize for this database? (its in the file init.ora).
>
> How are the backups configured for this database? - as you're going to
> have to be able to rely upon them prior to mucking about.
>
> As the path delimiters indicate I'm guessing that this is either an MS
> W2K | WinNT 4.0 box. The bug that I referred to did occur on win32
> operating systems on the 2 GB mark. It would be worth your while to
> connect to the Oracle Metalink site https://metalink.oracle.com and see
> if you have hit this bug.
>
> hth.
>
> -bdbafh

This is a Netware 5.1 File server and the database exist on a uncompressed netware volume. It was originally Oracle 7.3 and was updated when we built a new server and implemented Oracle 8i.

Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.4 - Production (5 user, NetWare Bundle)
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.4 - Production
CORE Version 8.1.5.0.4 - Production

TNS for NetWare: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.4.0.0.0 - Production

PARAMETER VALUE

Partitioning        FALSE
Objects         TRUE
Parallel Server        FALSE
Advanced replication       FALSE
Bit-mapped indexes       FALSE
Connection multiplexing       TRUE
Connection pooling       TRUE
Database queuing       FALSE
Incremental backup and recovery      FALSE
Instead-of triggers       FALSE
Parallel backup and recovery      FALSE
Parallel execution       FALSE
Parallel load        TRUE
Point-in-time tablespace recovery     FALSE
Fine-grained access control      FALSE
N-Tier authentication/authorization     FALSE
Function-based indexes       FALSE
Plan Stability        FALSE
Online Index Build       FALSE
Coalesce Index        FALSE
Managed Standby        FALSE
Materialized view rewrite      FALSE
Materialized view warehouse refresh     FALSE
Database resource manager      FALSE
Spatial         FALSE
Visual Information Retrieval      FALSE
Export transportable tablespaces     FALSE
Transparent Application Failover     FALSE
Fast-Start Fault Recovery      FALSE
Sample Scan        FALSE
Duplexed backups       FALSE
Java         FALSE

db_block_size = 2048 Received on Thu Dec 22 2005 - 15:17:09 CST