Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:25:16 GMT

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:08:07 -0800, GeoPappas wrote:

> << 1) Enterprise Edition must be licensed by CPU. Or by total number
> of
> users Named User Plus, with a minimum of 25 users per CPU. >>
>
> Your statement is ambiguous. The first sentence says that EE must be
> licensed by CPU. But then your second sentence starts with "Or".
>
> You also previously stated:
>
> "If you wanted this for Enterprise,
>
> 1) All CPU on machine must be licensed"
>
> My understanding is that you can license EE either by (1) CPU or by (2)
> # of Users. If you go with #2, then you are correct that there is a 25
> user minimum. But if you go with #1, there is no user minimum.

There is no ambiguity.

Choose one of two license metrics: by CPU or by Named User Plus.

If you Choose by CPU, any number of users can be supported. If you Choose by User, you must meet a minimum of 25 users per CPU.

In either case, all CPU on a server must be included in the license determination.

The impact and rules around hardware partitioning (aka segmentation) that permits multiple systems within one server or hardware unit, and the determination of "CPU within a server" in such scenarios are discussed in http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf

Note: Your previous response discussed the Named User Plus licensing. It did not take into account the need for the minimums per CPU when selecting that option.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com