Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:49:11 GMT

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:48:43 -0800, GeoPappas wrote:

> Are you using Oracle Lite, the Personal Edition, Standard Edition,
> Standard Edition One, Enterprise Edition?
>
> If Enterprise, are you using any options (RAC, OLAP, Partitioning,
> etc.)?
>
> I'm not an expert on licensing, but since you will have only one user
> (yourself), then I would think that you should go with the "Named User
> Plus" plan. For example, this would cost you $800 for the Enterprise
> Edition, and the $176 for support (but take what I say with a grain of
> salt).

Sad to say, you are totally incorrect here (with the exception of the "not an expert on licensing part :-q").

Oracle's licensing has a few rules:

  1. Enterprise Edition must be licensed by CPU. Or by total number of users Named User Plus, with a minimum of 25 users per CPU.
  2. Support is 22% of list price for the perpetual license, not of purchase price and not of term license price.
--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com