Re: Oracle Licensing Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:42:22 GMT

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:45:13 +0000, A. Fuentes wrote:

> Fellow Oracle Users:
>
> I am trying to determine the following from
> the Oracle Store web site, but I am not so sure if I got
> the right numbers.
>
> What would be the low-end prices (annually) for
> an Oracle License (1 AIX system w/1 CPU),
> one user (only me), which will allow to open
> TARs/bugs in the metalink?
>
> Cheers,
>
> A. Fuentes

  1. Licenses no longer depend on the operating system;
  2. The least expensive will be Personal, but that delivers only for Windows. (That is not a license thing, that is a delivery thing ...);
  3. You need license + support to access Metalink;
  4. Using the US prices (since I do not know your locale) follow these steps to price Personal Edition:

http://store.oracle.com/

-> link to (United States / English)
-> left menu link to (Term Licenses)
-> center area link to (Oracle Database Personal Edition)
-> pull down, select the term ($80/year), enter Qty 1
     and click Add to Cart
-> pull down, select support (Software Update License & Support)
     and click Update

Your total is US$168

You may also decide to order the CD pack instead of downloading.

Oracle price policies are listed in various documents at http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/index.html, but as a quick summary

0) Perpetual licenses are yours to use forever, even without support;

  1. Term licenses (use of which must be stopped after term is up) are {20, 35, 50, 60, 70}% of perpetual for {1, 2, 3, 4,5} year terms
  2. Support and update (needed for Metalink) is always 22% of perpetual;
  3. Support is an annual fee starting from date of purchase;
  4. Support allows unlimited service requests during the year;
  5. Support allows unlimited patch downloads fpor the licensed systems;
  6. If you bought CD packs, support provides unlimited replacement CD packs
    • when the version changes and new CD pack is available.
  7. Next year you would need to purchase a new license.

Because of 7) I found it much less expensive (over 5 years) to get the perpetual license for Personal and renew support annually.

Note that this only permits service requests against Personal Edition, which means all features but no RAC.

If you wanted this for Enterprise,

  1. All CPU on machine must be licensed;
  2. Options are separate;
  3. Enterprise has a minimum of 25 users per CPU if 'User' based
    • term 1 year, no options = $4,000
    • support = $4,400 (and by CPU is roughly double the above)

Hope that helps

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com