Re: How many buckets

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:19:31 -0800

boogab00_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Js wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Experts,
>>>
>>>I need your comments on below topic.
>>>
>>>Oracle generating 2 buckets for each column if I am executing this
>>>command.
>>>
>>>SQL> analyze table t compute statistics;
>>>
>>>Table analyzed.
>>>
>>>SQL> select count(*),column_name from user_Tab_histograms where
>>>table_name = 'T' group by column_name;
>>>
>>> COUNT(*) COLUMN_NAME
>>>---------- --------------------------------------------------
>>> 2 CREATED
>>> 2 DATA_OBJECT_ID
>>> 2 GENERATED
>>> 2 LAST_DDL_TIME
>>> 2 OBJECT_ID
>>> 2 OBJECT_NAME
>>> 2 OBJECT_TYPE
>>> 2 OWNER
>>> 2 SECONDARY
>>> 2 STATUS
>>> 2 SUBOBJECT_NAME
>>> 2 TEMPORARY
>>> 2 TIMESTAMP
>>>
>>>13 rows selected.
>>>
>>>And If use this command ...
>>>
>>>SQL> analyze table t compute statistics for table for all columns;
>>>
>>>Table analyzed.
>>>
>>>SQL> select count(*),column_name from user_Tab_histograms where
>>>table_name = 'T' group by column_name;
>>>
>>> COUNT(*) COLUMN_NAME
>>>---------- --------------------------------------------------
>>> 76 CREATED
>>> 75 DATA_OBJECT_ID
>>> 2 GENERATED
>>> 76 LAST_DDL_TIME
>>> 76 OBJECT_ID
>>> 76 OBJECT_NAME
>>> 24 OBJECT_TYPE
>>> 11 OWNER
>>> 1 SECONDARY
>>> 2 STATUS
>>> 2 SUBOBJECT_NAME
>>> 2 TEMPORARY
>>> 76 TIMESTAMP
>>>

>>>I am confused .. No of buckets is dependent upon what ?
>>>
>>>Regards.
>>
>>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_4005.htm#SQLRF01105
>>
>>also: http://tahiti.oracle.com
>>and search for "Bucket" and "ANALYZE" together
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)
>

> Nice tip.  Do us all a favor and don't suggest RTFM unless the OP
> really deserves it.  In this case, I think not.

Well thank you for volunteering to sit next to me while I am answering questions to provide real-time guidance. I really appreciate it. Can you start on Monday?

Nowhere did I say RTFM. What I did was make it easy for the OP to find the answer to the question as I presumed, apparently correctly, that you wouldn't give them any help at all.