Help getting an EXECUTABLE to run under DBMS_SCHEDULER

From: GeoPappas <PappasG_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Dec 2005 06:18:08 -0800

The following command (which just executes the date command) says that it completes successfully:

BEGIN

DBMS_SCHEDULER.CREATE_JOB(
	job_name	=> 'test',
	job_type	=> 'EXECUTABLE',
	job_action	=> '/usr/bin/date',
	enabled		=> TRUE

);
END;
/

But the following command (which appends the output of the date command to a file in the tmp directory) fails:

BEGIN

DBMS_SCHEDULER.CREATE_JOB(
	job_name	=> 'test',
	job_type	=> 'EXECUTABLE',
	job_action	=> '/usr/bin/date>>/tmp/date.log',
	enabled		=> TRUE

);
END;
/

The error that is thrown is "ORA-27369: job of type EXECUTABLE failed with exit code: No such file or directory".

I have tried this without the existence of a date.log file and with the existence of a date.log file in the /tmp directory. Both commands fail with the same error (above).

Also, the /tmp directory is accessible by everyone (it has the following UNIX-level rights: drwxrwxrwt).

Any ideas?

FYI: 10gR2 (10.2.0.1.0) on Solaris 2.9 and I am running these commands under the SYS Oracle user. Received on Wed Dec 21 2005 - 08:18:08 CST