Oracle recover problems

From: tom <eeemwong_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2005 08:38:13 -0800

Hi all, I am new to Oracle and apparently I am having problems trying to recover the database.

I had installed Oracle 10 g R2 on Windows on my laptop computer as developement machine. The database instance was set to run in Archivemode. I had set up a flash recovery area for backup and the system did backup automatically on 21st of November 2005 once.

Oracle was trying to do another backup last week but complained about running out of space. It was late and I switched the laptop off. The next day, the database instance refused to start and I forgot what was the error message. The enterprise manager recommended me to perform recovery. I tried to recover the whole database to a point in time. The system restored and recovered most of the datafiles but the system01.dbf. It says the system01.dbf need media recovery. I tried all sort of recovery parameters without success. It always complained cannot find backup piece xxxx.bkp in the flash_recovery_area/backupset directory. This directory is empty.

Under the /flash_recovery_area, there are some files as follows

/flash_recovery_area

    /database

/ARCHIVELOG

             /2005_11_21
                 xxxx.arc
             /2005_11_22
                 xxxx.arc
             /2005_11_23
                 xxxx.arc
             /2005_12_13
                 xxxx.arc

/BACKUPSET (empty)
/DATAFILE
xxx.dbf xxx.dbf
/ONLINELOG (empty)

Can somone suggest me some solutions to try? I have stucked for few days already.

Thank you very much in advance.

Tom Received on Tue Dec 20 2005 - 10:38:13 CST