Re: oracle updates multi core licensing

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:39:07 GMT

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:29:13 -0800, hpuxrac wrote:

> Now 1 AMD dual core or Intel dual core counts as 1 cpu
>
> 8 core Sun Fire T2000 counts as 2
>
> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=175006718
>
> So the oracle license price for 1 dual core cpu is half that as a
> machine with 2 single core cpu's.

Amazing how different people can find different negative spins on something - when Oracle charged more for dual core, people whined about "it's only one CPU, and they charge more", now they whine about it the other way around.

Proves the old adage

"you might be able to please people some of the people some of the time, but DBAs will always find something to whine about"

<sigh>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com