Re: row vs row.column level locking

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2005 18:58:26 GMT

"hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> # Row level locking is also quite often completely absurd.
>
> As compared to what exactly?

As opposed to locking at the proper level for the task at hand, of course.

> Locking on a column or locking on a block
> or on a whole table?

Other than entire row locking, the two I've had a desire for were locking just the cell (which cannot be done in Oracle, without breaking things into multiple tables), or locking all relationally related rows (which can be done but only with a heck of a lot of work).

If you are only going to have one, then row-level is probably the one to have. But the alternatives are entirely reasonable.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB