Re: row vs row.column level locking

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:42:12 GMT

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:11:00 GMT, Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:20:59 -0500, Serge Rielau wrote:
>
>> Well, we agree on the price tag at least.
>> Now I have no clue how statistical column correlation has anything to do
>> with locking granularity.
>
>Serge, my suspicion is the following: column C1 has some kind of
>relationship (business, logical, statistical?) with the column C2.

I've recently stumbled open the row_scn function in Tom Kyte's book. In order for row_scn function to work properly for each row, the table was created with a special clause, so that to allow room for such info to be stored on a row-level not a block level.

Not all tables need to allow 'column level' locking, and it obviously has an additional overhead (just like row_scn function), so the default can stay, and 'column lockable' tables could have a special clause as well... Of course there is much work to be done beyond that, and as long the benefits outweigh the costs, it might still be worth doing it.

We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon Dec 19 2005 - 12:42:12 CST