Re: SAN versus NAS versus direct attached storage

From: Andrew J. Kelly <sqlmvpnooospam_at_shadhawk.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:43:55 -0500

Yes Net-APP was the exception that I referred to and I have not yet seen a NAS come close to a SAN in terms of reliability and performance. I have seen some direct attached storage that you can cluster with but I do not know what is currently on the HCLC. As for concrete data I don't think you will find any document directly comparing the two since there are so many variables. As I mentioned you have to consider your requirements and they may often be different than everyone else's. Speed should not be the only factor in determining a storage solution. Ease of use / maintenance, scalability, performance, reliability, HA, DR, misc. features etc all play a big part in choosing the correct storage.

--
Andrew J. Kelly  SQL MVP