Re: Oracle - SYSDBA

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:13:49 +0100

> I, for one, would sure hope that the OleDB provider does not permit SYSDBA
> access. I think that would be a humungous security hole.
>
> --
> Randy Harris
> tech at promail dot com
> I'm pretty sure I know everything that I can remember.

It's not possible, see Metalink note 276719.1 :

Doc ID: Note:276719.1
Subject: Is It Possible to Connect to Oracle as SYSDBA From ADO Type: PROBLEM
Content Type: TEXT/X-HTML
Creation Date: 18-JUN-2004
Last Revision Date: 03-AUG-2005

Applies to:
Oracle Provider for OLE DB - Version: 9.2.0.1 Oracle ODBC Driver - Version: 8.1.7.0 to 10.1.0.4 Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Microsoft Windows (32-bit)

Symptoms
Unable to connect as SYSDBA from ADO applications. Cause
Using the Microsoft OLEDB Provider to connect as SYSDBA

According to Bug 2114052, it is not possible, per the OLE DB specification, to connect to a database with the "AS SYSDBA" syntax. This will not work with Oracle OLE DB Provider either. Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 16:13:49 CST