Re: What is codepoint of character set?

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 15 Dec 2005 07:58:13 GMT

nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I can not understand meaning of a sentance, present in Oracle concepts
> manual..In the chapter of Native Datatypes, it says:
>
> The length semantics of character datatypes can be measured in bytes or
> characters.

Translation:
There are two meanings to 'CHAR(5)': either it means 'a character string consisting of 5 bytes' (that is called 'byte semantics') or 'a character string consisting of 5 characters' (this is called 'character semantics').

> Character semantics treat strings as a sequence of characters. "A
> character is technically a codepoint of the database character set."
>
> Here the last sentence : "A character is technically a codepoint of the
> database character set." is not clear to me..can u pl. explain what is
> the meaning of codepoint of db char. set?

Translation:
A character is, technically speaking, an entry in the list of all possible characters. This list is called character set (or codepage).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 01:58:13 CST