Vertias/Symantec NetBackup vs. RMAN

From: Steven Faulconer <fishtoad_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Dec 2005 11:14:25 -0800

Hello all,

I spent a little time going through this group and found some older references to my question, but wanted to get a slightly newer opinion.

We have many Oracle database servers running on Solaris and SPARC hardware. We have a backup server and large tape library running on Solaris and SPARC hardware as well. Currently, we are running Oracle 9i with plans to upgrade to 10g in the near future. There has been some discussions on the best methods for doing backups.

Right now, we export the data out of Oracle, then run NetBackup to grab the files from the OS and send them to tape. What advantage, if any, would we have in getting the Oracle agent for NetBackup and using it to get the data from Oracle, over setting up RMAN scripts?

To me, it seems like double the work to use RMAN to backup the database, then backup those backups to tape using NetBackup. We could essentially make it one operation with NetBackup for Oracle. Also, this gives us a graphical interface (essentially) into RMAN, making things somewhat easier.

Based on the information I found in this group, RMAN knowledge would still be advisable. Anyone know of any case studies or that sort of document available that provides a comparison?

Thanks for your time,
Steven Received on Wed Dec 14 2005 - 13:14:25 CST