Re: Oracle Express, Go To Database Home Page problem

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_Dunbar-it.REMOVE.THIS.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:49:45 +0000

I've has a similar problem just today.

The installation is broken on Windows - especially if you are using the new improved installer whihc installs on systems with slightly less that 256 Mb RAM.

The logs directory (c:\oracleex\<something>\config\logs - if I remember correctly) will show problems in the log for postscripts.log and postDBCreation.log I suspect.

My problems were as folows :

cannot access the database home page PLUS cannot restart the database after shutting it down.

What I found was that there is a bug in ex.sql where the call to 'host' to create the initXE.ora file is found. This call has a '/' instead of a '\' in the spfile = full_path_to_spfile line.

Also, in postscripts.sql (or PostDBCreation.sql - I'm away from the Windows stuff at the moment) fails to create the spfile as there is a similar '/' rather than a '\' in it.

Being unable to restart the database after creating the spfile causes most of the latter half of postscripts.sql and postDBCreation.sql to fail.

There is also a missing script - something like dbmsmml.sql - which cannot be run as it (obviously) isn't there.

The fix is to proceed as follows :

run sqlplus command line
login a sys/password as sysdba
create spfile='path_to_dbs\spfile.ora' from pfile; shutdown database
login as sys again
startup

Go through postscripts.sql and postDBCreation.sql line by line.

http:127.0.0.1:8080/htmldb should then work.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm. Received on Wed Dec 14 2005 - 14:49:45 CST