Re: informix market share

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:16:04 -0600

On 2005-11-27, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> rkusenet wrote:
>
>> Add to it, IDS runs on 20 out of 25 top grocery chains in North America,
>> and about 80% of all retail shops like Wal-Mart, Sears etc.
>
> And how many of those 20 grocery chains and 80% of retail shops are
> also running SQL Server and Oracle?
>
> Seems to me this is rather creative use of statistics. No doubt
> Microsoft can similarly claim that 100% of them use MS Access.

        There's also the problem of how you slice up the numbers?

        I have lived or worked in most parts of the country and I can think of only of a handful of major chains. The 20 could easily be all of the small fry. There's a southwest regional chain in particular that's cheap to a fault.

        My own personal experience with Informix in the retail space is that they're moving away from it and are very distressed with how IBM has treated the product. It's viewed as a dead end that needs to be migrated away from.

--
Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||

                http://www.usenet.com