Re: informix market share

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:38:53 -0600

On 2005-11-30, Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:
>>
>> *chuckle*And there always will be because SMP scales better than RAC
>> (more CPUs needed)
>
> Not necessarily - as people move of their older SMPs they can find that
> the new CPUs in the smaller blades of their new Linux clusters are much
> more powerful than what they had before, and that they have a lot more
> memory, L2 cache etc. Does depend on how old the SMP is.

        Nevermind that even. I've seen applications scale better on a cluster of V880s than they did on the corresponding NUMA hardware.

        Also, the question of "scaling" better has nothing to do with the number of cpus thrown at the problem but the ability to get more work done. Anyone prattling on about NUMA scalability should be aware of that.

--
Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||

                http://www.usenet.com