Re: validation testing -- use TPC-C? (or what?)

From: Larry Menard <root_at_GoSpamYourself.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:05:29 -0500

   My TPC knowledge is a bit dated, so take it with a grain of salt.

   First of all, make sure you are looking for the right benchmark for the type of processing you are interested in. For example, TPC-C is a benchmark that is indicative primarily of rapid transaction processing. There are other benchmarks for workloads that are more DSS-intensive (TPC-H or TPC-D) or web-intensive (TPC-W).

   Second, I don't know of any publicly available TPC-C kits. It is my understanding that the source code used for TPC-C benchmark applications are closely-guarded secrets, since the application code itself might contain code that accounts for significant performance improvements.

--
Larry Menard