Re: JPMorgan Chase to strengthen offshoring to India

From: Richard Heathfield <invalid_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:44:34 +0000 (UTC)

Chris Hills said:

> In the UK it took about 30 years to switch and
> that was with metric being the only system taught in schools. Most
> people over 50 in the UK still tend to use Imperial unless their job
> requires metric.

Ahem. I won't hit 50 for - well, a while anyway - but I still use Imperial except when doing what I think of as "science stuff". For day to day use, I still revel in inches, feet, yards, chains, furlongs, miles, ounces, pounds, stones, tons - and degrees Fahrenheit. I take particular delight in giving Imperial orders[1] to greengrocers, thus forcing them to dig out their calculators and conversion charts.

> However in another 15 years very no one will use the
> old imperial units.

<mistake mode="tempting fate">
  Over my dead body.
</mistake>

[1] Example: "Bring young Skywalker to me." Er, okay, maybe not.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999