Question about efficient ways to pass data from java to oracle

From: the Rat <john_hilgedick_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2005 13:21:17 -0800

Hello all,

I'm looking for an efficient way to pass data from java 1.3 (and above) to oracle 8.0 (and above).

I've tried 2 mechanisms already but I'm not really happy with the performance of either:
1. Obtain an OracleConnection to oracle from DriverManager.getConnection() and then convert an array of java objects into an array of structs and pass the array of structs to a stored procedure. I found this to be very slow. 2. Obtain a connection to oracle from an application server's connection pool. Then create a batch update command. I found this solution to be about 20% faster than solution #1 above - and I like it better because it's getting the connection from an appServer's connection pool instead of through the DriverManager class.

Still, is there a faster way? In the end, all I want to do is update a number of rows in a table. I can do that through a batch update or by calling a stored procedure or by...? Is there a way to get a connection (not an OracleConnection) from an appServer's connection pool and then use it to pass an array of ints to a stored procedure?

Ideas?

Thanks - any light you can shed would be appreciated.

-john Received on Mon Dec 12 2005 - 15:21:17 CST