Re: Recompiling invalid objects in PL/SQL

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:20:32 -0000

In article <dneaek$l9i$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Frank van Bortel says...
> USER1 will recompile the procedure, trigger, function (what ever PL/SQL)
> the moment it is used, and invalid.
> A possible error may occur when "revalidation" (as Oracle calls it)
> fails.
>
> So, there's no magic, Oracle does, and always has been doing, it
> when needed.
>
> Why not try it? Create a table, and a procedure that manipulates
> that table. Grant execute to user2, test.
> Drop and recreate the table (this will invalidate the proc).
> Test again.

Well not in my experience (not tested on 9i and above) but certainly with 8i, USER2 would be greeted with an "insufficient privileges" error.

But now I'm going to test it on 9i....

<tests>

OK looks like a difference between 8i and 9i onwards....

cheeers!

--

jeremy