Re: Oracle Express, Go To Database Home Page problem

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:59:42 -0800

twins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded Oracle Express 10G. I install it with no errors but
> when I try to open the "Go To Database Home Page" I get "the page
> cannot be displayed".
>
> I have not changed anytning and try to connect to
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/htmldb
>
> I use WinXP sp2. I have tried using different regional settings
> (Engilsh US is one of them) with no luck. I dont use a local FW. When I
> run a netstat -a I see that the system does not listen to port 8080.
>
> Any Idéas why this does not work or how I can fix the problem?
>
> Thanks!

There are multiple causes for this problem. I suggest you register and logon to the XE forum on OTN for help.

Some things to check
1) Is the database actually started ?

 From the SQL Command Line, type the following (as the user you installed the database as)

connect / as sysdba;

If you get 'Connected', check the database is open with the following query select count(*) from hr.employees;

If you get 'Connected to an idle instance', type startup;
Once the database is started, type the query above to see if the database opened correctly

Any problems please report them on the forum

2) What port is XE listening on for http requests ? (Type the command lsnrctl status from the DOS command line) Received on Sun Dec 11 2005 - 16:59:42 CST