Re: What will happen after this senario?

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 22:33:33 +0100

"Andy Hassall" <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote in message news:rd39p11e2ih5gf6nlv5b1vihm07hf86bm1_at_4ax.com...
> On 5 Dec 2005 10:32:05 -0800, "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>> I've install oracle 9i with 9.0.2.5 patch on windows 2000 server as
>>> "ABC" user who member windows administrator group.
>>
>>I am not a huge windows on oracle fan, so I may get some of this wrong.
>>
>>But I believe that the oracle installation guide recommends installing
>>the oracle software as a "local administrator" on windows servers.
>
> It depends what words you insert to complete the sentence, but I read that
> as:
>
> "ABC" user who [is a] member [of the] windows administrator group.
>
> ... which makes the user "a local adminstrator", and would be OK. The
> installation guide says:
>
> "
> To install the Oracle Database software:
>
> 1.
>
> Log on as a member of the Administrators group to the computer on
> which
> to install Oracle components.

Each member server has a local administrators group. Normally the account "administrator" belongs to it. But, to make it a bit complicated, domain groups can be a member of the local administrators group. So you can log on to the server as a domain user but be at the same time be part of the local administrators on that server.

> If you are installing on a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or a
> Backup
> Domain Controller (BDC), log on as a member of the Domain Administrators
> group.
> "

This is logic since a Windows domain controller has no local accounts/groups.

Matthias Received on Fri Dec 09 2005 - 15:33:33 CST