Re: an easier way to time a sql statement?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:41:28 -0800

Chuck wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>>>There are situations where the DBA is not the source of the problem, as
>>>listed above. Their hands are tied by those who manage them, and in
>>>some shops the Dilbert principle is in full vigor.

>>>David Fitzjarrell
>>

>>Thanks for the opportunity to fix my broken english.
>>
>>I've yet to meet management that has a clue what the DBAs are doing.
>>Whatever happened to don't ask ... don't tell?
>

> Most managers don't even have a clue what *they* are doing let alone any
> of the technical staff reporting to them.

When I hear the excuse "management won't allow it" I often think back to the Dilbert cartoon where he tell's the boss the database should be mauve.

I once, as a joke, presented a graph to some mid-level managers at a very large aerospace company showing the number of days since the project began was a straight-line starting in the lower-left and moving relentlessly to the upper-right. They were so impressed they asked for a copy of the slide.

And if it hadn't been the 1st of April I'd likely have been introduced to security. Each one of them took the graph seriously.