Re: 10gR2 RHL4 on AMD opteron 64-bit or HP Itanium?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:05:40 -0800

Bob Jones wrote:

>>>An 8CPU box? We are talking about multi-node clusters with more than 4
>>>CPUs per node. In OP's case, it is a 2-node.
>>
>>Lets return to basics. You are the one, IIRC, that made the comment
>>that Itanium was more scalable and then defended that by saying that
>>Opteron scaled to a maximum of 4 CPUs per box while Itanium allowed up
>>to 100.
>>

> Yes, I did. Have you shown otherwise?

Didn't need to or want to as it is irrelevant. You need to learn what RAC is ... and more importantly ... what it is not.

>>I pointed out that scaling past 4 CPUs per box is ridiculous and goes
>>against the entire concept Oracle is promoting with respect to RAC.

> That's exactly what I disagree with. What is Oracle's concept? RAC cannot > have more than 4 CPUs per node?

Can't ... nothing. Nothing other than intelligence or a CFO would stop someone from building a RAC cluster with IBM mainframes either.

>>So how does your comment above relate to the thread?

> I was simply pointing out the fact that you were comparing a single 8CPU box > to a multi-node RAC has nothing to do with the thread.

It has everything to do with this thread. You just don't understand RAC.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org