Re: 9i RMAN question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2005 11:59:10 -0800

Keith wrote:
> You're only as good as your archive log backups. If you screw one up,
> you may be screwed completely. If you keep control of your backups
> within RMAN (i.e. let RMAN delete your archived logs), you'll mitigate
> the risk of deleting logs not yet backed up in RMAN.

Maybe I have a long term misunderstanding of RMAN (or are misunderstanding you), but I've always felt deleting arcs as soon as they are backed up creates a critical point of failure - something wrong with that backup, you are boned if you have to recover. Spreading redundancy between multiple backups has certainly saved my butt. Leaving arcs on disk a few days has certainly reduced time to recover for me. Once it's all scripted, the most time is spent checking the logs - and one could script that too. (I did, but went away from that as I realized I was starting to forget things, need to _look_ at it every day, just a couple of minutes along with the alert logs).

The main point, of course, is to explicate the recovery requirements and be sure the policies and procedures implement the requirements.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Bomb!  Japan has just flashed Pearl Baily!