Re: diffrent O/S between failover server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:23:34 +0100

On 8 Dec 2005 09:24:44 -0800, "t-ngo_at_ti.com" <t-ngo_at_ti.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>We are setting up a failover over server for our big database. The
>current server has O/S Solaris 2.6, we plan to install O/S solaris 2.8
>on failover server. Database is 8.1.7.4 release.
>
>Do you see any issues if we have different O/S on failover servers.
>Will it work?
>
>Thanks in advance for your response.
>
>Thanks,
>Thanh

Depends on which failover technology you are using. If you are talking about standby database, apart from the fact 8.1.7 is desupported, Oracle requires the same O/S and database sw on both sides.
If you are talking Suncluster, I doubt Sun is going to support a mix of various versions, where Solaris 2.6 is desupported.

Time to get your credit card handy, I guess.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA