ROWID added to SQL from OLE DB driver

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:22:48 +0100

Hi,

I'm investigating a strange problem on one of our Windows 2000 application servers.
We have a web application which connects to Oracle 8.1.7.4 on AIX. Technology used is VB, ADO and OLE DB (MDAC 2.8 with the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle). I activated sql trace using a logon trigger and I saw a large number of queries with parse errors in the resulting trace file (ORA-01446 errors). This seems to be because ROWID is automatically added to the queries from probably the ADO or OLE DB layer. But the strange thing is that the queries DO get parsed correctly on a second try.

Example :

SELECT * FROM MyView => VB code
becomes
SELECT MyView.*, MyView.ROWID from MyView => parse error in the trace file and
SELECT * FROM MyView => correct query further in the trace file

Has anyone seen this weird behaviour before ? Could this be a configuration issue of the OLE DB Provider ? I couldn't find anything on the support site of Mickeysoft, will create a TAR tomorrow ...

Matthias Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 15:22:48 CST