Re: Recompiling invalid objects in PL/SQL

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 7 Dec 2005 10:13:03 -0800

#hpuxrac wrote:
#> Recommending people run utlrp.sql to fix invalid application objects
is
#> not just bad advice, it is terrible advice.

# After a database upgrade.... oracle runs the same program.

Is this what the OP asked about ... a database upgrade?

Are there differences between a database upgrade and application changes that are relevant?

#> It demonstrates a poor understanding of how to administer oracle
based
#> applications in my opinion. Posting this kind of advice by someone
who
#> probably knows better is sad.

#> Many organizations monitor invalid objects in important application
#> schema's and recompile them as needed ... just within the schema
#> affected ... not all schema's.

#Monitor for the sake of monitoring?

Monitor to find out if recent application changes have somehow caused a problem.

In other words, making sure that a set of one or more schemas and one or more applications that normally do not/should not have invalids have not changed.

Identifying application changes that may not be coded optimally that may now be causing invalid objects.

# Besides - why would objects "suddenly" become invalid, and then valid again?

You really don't know? Because of bad coding patterns or by developers that haven't yet mastered some of the finer oracle considerations. Tom Kyte has covered this subject pretty well. Do you have a specific question here?

#> It is possible to design many if not most oracle based applications
so
#> that no object goes invalid in an application schema. In production
#> don't expect any in my environment to go invalid and I will report
and
#> investigate any that do go invalid.

# Just as there's no reason for objects to go invalid, there's no reason to monitor.

If you don't monitor how do you catch problems caused by application changes? This is just basic DBA 101 here Frank. Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 12:13:03 CST