Re: Recompiling invalid objects in PL/SQL

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:38:10 +0100

hpuxrac wrote:
> Recommending people run utlrp.sql to fix invalid application objects is
> not just bad advice, it is terrible advice.

After a database upgrade.... oracle runs the same program.

> It demonstrates a poor understanding of how to administer oracle based
> applications in my opinion. Posting this kind of advice by someone who
> probably knows better is sad.
>
> Many organizations monitor invalid objects in important application
> schema's and recompile them as needed ... just within the schema
> affected ... not all schema's.

Monitor for the sake of monitoring?
Besides - why would objects "suddenly" become invalid, and then valid again?

> It is possible to design many if not most oracle based applications so
> that no object goes invalid in an application schema. In production I
> don't expect any in my environment to go invalid and I will report and
> investigate any that do go invalid.

Just as there's no reason for objects to go invalid, there's no reason to monitor.

> TUSC provided many years ago a procedure that I still have in my
> organizations application schemas.

[snip!]
TUSC does not only obsoleted code (how's an execute immediate instead of dbms_sql.parse?), but adhere to the BCHR mantra, so it seems.
Besides, the code is ineffective, as it does not consider dependencies between objects.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...