Re: Selects via DB Links - Special Tuning Considerations

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:00:13 GMT

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:25:37 GMT, Steven Kondolf <skondolf_at_nospam.rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>As we cannot upgrade our 11.0.3/HP box until next year due to business
>reasons (read MONEY), our 8.0.6 box will still contain the
>jobs/reports/scripts etc. Our plan is to build a db link from the
>8.0.6 box to the 10.2 box and change our code to perform our
>processing via this db link.

It's not entirely clear on what sort of 'load' you're going to have on the db-link, but I'd stay away from db-links unless absolutely necessary. Expect to have to tune/rewrite queries a lot, and a lot of slowdown, especially if you plan to have joins across the link. .......
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 10:00:13 CST