Re: Recompiling invalid objects in PL/SQL

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 7 Dec 2005 06:50:50 -0800

Recommending people run utlrp.sql to fix invalid application objects is not just bad advice, it is terrible advice.

It demonstrates a poor understanding of how to administer oracle based applications in my opinion. Posting this kind of advice by someone who probably knows better is sad.

Many organizations monitor invalid objects in important application schema's and recompile them as needed ... just within the schema affected ... not all schema's.

It is possible to design many if not most oracle based applications so that no object goes invalid in an application schema. In production I don't expect any in my environment to go invalid and I will report and investigate any that do go invalid.

TUSC provided many years ago a procedure that I still have in my organizations application schemas.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE RECOMPILE_ALL_INVALID IS

But I would recommend monitoring and investigating application invalid objects as well. Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 08:50:50 CST