Re: Patchset 10.1.0.4 glibc Problem

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 07 Dec 2005 11:39:57 GMT

Bj?rn W?chter <bwc_at_p3-solutions.de> wrote:
> I installed an Oracle 10.1.0.2 on a Debian Woody machine.
> After the installation someone did an upgrade of the Debian
> from Woody to Sarge. Now I tried to install the Patchset
> 10.1.0.4. I get an error (or warning??)
>
> Checking for glibc version glibc-2.2.4-25 Failed <<<<
>
> The glibc version is 2.3.2.ds1-18 at the moment.
> Is the upgrade of Debian the reason of the problems?
> The Patchset asks if I want to continue. How big is the
> danger of trying it? It is a production database.
> Should I test the same scenario on a test server?
> Should I make a new installation of oracle an move the
> data?

Do I get it right that you let 'someone' upgrade the operating system on a production database without doing research and tests first??

If you are that bold, I'd suggest not to worry about that message. A later version of glibc should be backward compatible to a previous version, and you might be lucky.

If I were in your place, however, I would definitly test it.

Debian is not a certified Linux distribution for Oracle, right? I would perform thorough tests on everything before making even the smallest change.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Dec 07 2005 - 05:39:57 CST