Re: Hardware Replication vs DataGuard

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 6 Dec 2005 22:45:29 -0800

> On the other hand, if you want to use the remote replication, I'm not sure
> how would you configure a database to open it? It would have to be
> properly scripted, to duplicate the log transport services provided by
> Oracle. It would be cumbersome, it would require high level of skills and
> it would be completely unnecessary.

That's very easy. You have to use some cluster software anyway and prepare scripts for it.
It doesn't matter if you're opening standby database or starting up your replicated database.
These scripts simply have to switch replication direction, open a database (with automatic
Oracle crash recovery), move IP address and you're up and running in minutes. The logfiles
are also stored on replicated volume groups so there is no reason to shipped them anywhere,
there are where there should be already. In fact, the setup is simpler than with Data Guard.

--
Dusan