Re: password file on rac

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 22:20:12 -0800

"SP" <spantgroup_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1133912393.691994.10070_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I am on 9i RAC. I had to go and run the alter statement in each
> instance to change the password file otherwise it wouldn't change. I
> went exactly through the same process...

Wow!

I found this in the 9i RAC Setup and Configuration guide. Take note of "Changing the Password".

Database Password and Role Management in Real Application Clusters If you did not enable operating system authentication for the database server, then Oracle uses a password file for each instance of a Real Application Clusters database to authenticate user access to the database. Because these password files are private to each instance, you must administer passwords and roles in Real Application Clusters as follows:

  a.. Changing the Password--If you alter the password for an existing user, then you must execute the same ALTER USER SQL statement on all instances of your cluster database.
  b.. Granting or Revoking the SYSDBA or SYSOPER Roles--If you grant or revoke the SYSDBA or SYSOPER roles to a user, then you must execute the same GRANT ROLE or REVOKE ROLE SQL statement on all instances of the cluster database.
  --
  Andreas
  Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding. "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"

---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup