Re: [Tuning] Understanding direct path write event

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 04:28:28 GMT

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 01:53:17 -0800, SL wrote:

> 3) Is there any explanation why direct path insert is used while
> insertions are made by Java code using 'insert into values' syntax ?

It's not a direct path insert. Direct path write means that you are writing from user buffer (typically in PGA) directly to the database files, bypassing the db buffer cache. That is the way BLOB fields are read/written, and it was done for speed. The terminology comes from Unix which has buffer cache. If you open a file with O_DIRECT (C language) you will bypass buffer cache. It's a complex topic, far too long for a brief usenet post.

I don't know what are you doing, but I've seen amazing performance improvements if BLOB was replaced by BFILE. BFILE is readily accessible to web servers, uploads are much faster, the only thing is that you cannot modify files pointed to by BFILE descriptors.

--
http://www.mgogala.com