Re: Performance problem

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 6 Dec 2005 18:33:07 -0800

Tony wrote:
> Sorry about the cross/multi post guys. Chastiment duly accepted!
>
> I will try to answer all posts in this response.
> 1.. Data is pulled from one server to another in the daily batch process
> but the process to which I refer does not include any external file
> processing
> 2.. The decision to change the disks and NICs was management's.
> 3.. The database layout change was necessary as the SAN was reallocated
> and a SCSI array assigned in its stead. (I know, this is another cause for
> concern ...)
> 4.. Operating system is W2k with SP4 and Oracle 9.2.0.4.0
> 5.. I am analyzing the trace file (with TKPROF) and reviewing the
> STATSPACK output file

Does your trace file include wait events? If not you won't be able to get as much relevant information out of it.

You don't necessarily need a trace file from the whole run but it does need to capture a representative portion that can demonstrate the relevant problems.

Again, Cary's book covers a methodology highly recommended to help you deal with problems like this.

Tkprof can be used if you are good with it. Otherwise I highly recommend using either something like the hotsos resource profiler or clones such as the one Egor has done so much good workd on ( open source and free also ) ... http://oracledba.ru/orasrp/download.html Received on Tue Dec 06 2005 - 20:33:07 CST