VPD called twice, any news?

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2005 16:47:24 -0800

Hello. I am on Oracle 9.2.0.6 and I've discovered that VPD is called twice for many cases. Doing a search on this newsgroup, it appears there have been several people who have discovered this before me, and the reason is that VPD is evaluated once at parse, and once at execution.

The only way to stop this is to use static_policy = false (and I think to switch on a few spfile parameters.) However, this solution is too static.

What I'd really like is for the function to be evaluated once either at parse or at execution, but not both. Checking the metalink, I saw that patch 7 has a bug fix change for VPD, but it doesn't appear like it will solve the call-twice issue.

Is there any plans for Oracle to fix this problem in 9i and 10g? I'd like to write a TAR against this issue, but for some really weird reason, my metalink account won't let me. (TAR button on the left pane does not show up. However, under user profile, and admin user section, it states I can issue TARs.)

Anyways, any help or new info would be great.

thanks. Received on Tue Dec 06 2005 - 18:47:24 CST